Monday 1 March 2010

Choosing a Laptop


Choosing a Laptop

From time to time I’m asked by friends: what sort of (Windows) laptop do I recommend? They know I’ve been buying laptops for 20 years now. I have changed manufacturers for various reasons. From experience, all laptops seem to have some aspect (however small) which gave rise to a support query of some sort. It is probably best to go with a specific manufacturer as the actual machines change on a six monthly basis.

I used to be a great fan of Dell until I had trouble understanding their support line about 5 years ago. Curiously their sales line personnel always spoke clearly and the sales line was always high quality. The support line personnel were (from my view) highly accented, difficult to understand and the line quality was like I was talking to someone on Mars.

The range of computer manufacturers I’ve purchased from are: Gateway (many years ago), Dell, Toshiba, HP (Hewlett Packard) and Sony. Only one manufacturer (Sony) has driven me to blog negatively about the experience and only one Manufacturer (Sony) has started me down the road of legal action.

I tend to buy a new laptop every couple of years: such is the pace of development. They tend to alternate: medium specification, then high end. The HP and the most recent Toshiba were both medium end machines. They probably represent the best buys. I bought both of them from the John Lewis Partnership. The high end machines were top end processors (for their day) with top memory specs.

The Sony Vaio is the only machine where there was more than one catastrophic problem. One was hard drive failure and in my opinion the other is either bad design or poor manufacture.

The Sony Vaio and Dell both cost in the region of £1K5 at today’s prices. All machines irrespective of age are (apart from the Sony Vaio)  in good working order. The Sony Vaio is less than 6 month old the other machines are at least two years old. Indeed the HP is some five years old and still going strong.  

Let me be clear, I have had hard drives fail. If that was the only major problem with the Sony Vaio, then it was repaired under warrantee. My real issue is the fact that the power connector is failing. I take good care of my machines: they are part of my livelihood. Sony refuses to repair the Vaio laptop under warrantee even though the machine has in no way been misused or mishandled. They have offer to repair it for around £250 pounds which they describe (in my view insultingly) as a low price. You can get a new machine for close to that amount!

I have also to say that their support lines and pages were the most difficult to navigate I have ever encountered! I was abruptly terminated on both the web pages (with a server error message) and the phone line (which cut off to dialing tone). This happened at least four times for each of the services when I was trying to enter requested (15 digit) codes. I ended up calling their sales line to get a call back.

I also have an small issue with the robustness of the case. As standard use, I plug a mouse into the laptop and use the area in front of the keyboard as a mouse pad. The Sony Vaio case has deteriorated badly in three months of using the case to rest the mouse on. The other machines show no signs of wear after years: 4 or more times the use of the Sony. These machine were a half or a third of the cost of the Sony Vaio.  

So what do I currently recommend?   Go to John Lewis and choose a machine there. Choose Toshiba or HP. John Lewis will be competitive both competative on price and normally extend the warrantee to two years or more as part of the standard price (clearly this may change in the future).

Please don’t choose a Sony Vaio!

Ah well, back to writing the Agency software (on the Toshiba not on the Sony!)

Best regards
Ian