Wednesday 3 March 2010

So why do I want to eat with an overwhelming passion?


Ok so why do I want to eat with an overwhelming passion?

Or as that great philosopher Dawn French once said: “There are women who like chocolates and on the other hand there are real bitches!”

I have to admit that whilst I often make resolutions: not just new year’s ones! Resolutions to give up biscuits, chocolates and cheeses or cut back on chips, mayonnaise and fatty foods. This is often done after consuming one or several of the afore mentioned foods. It's probably at the time where I am feeling sluggish, definitely feeling full and cetainly feeling guilty. If I go around the supermarket whilst not in this state (hungry or even just not having recently eaten), then the basket or trolley becomes loaded with BOGOF (buy one get one free) biscuits chocolates and cheeses. It’s not as if I don’t like fruit: grapes, clementines, and bananas. In their right places: namely a tropical island along side a Piña colada or brandy sour they are splendid addtions to a diet. They often occupy my basket as well. Of course when I get the basket or trolley home (not literally of course – it would not fit in the car), it would be wasteful to throw ‘good’ food out. Or so I rationalise!
 
Last night I came home, put the feet up and watched Horizon. Non-sequitur you think. Well the subject was “Did cooking make us Human?” Even though the link may seem somewhat tenuous, the programme contained some surprising revelations. One of the nuggets in the programme was that: when we eat fatty substance with over a certain percentage fat, an MRI scan shows our brains light up like Christmas trees. Another was that a group of overweight modern humans fed exclusively on fruit and raw veg for two weeks did not feel full- ever and also lost weight – on average 5 kilos (if I remember correctly).

It seems to me in the past Horizon has veen a very variable quantity. This series, Horizon has reverted to good strong science. Of course it helps that the latest technology is providing many new experiments and results. There were far more pearls of wisdom in this programme than I expected. Overall this series has some good entertaining science rather than some of the sociological dog ends of some previous series.

You can still view this program on the BBC Horizon web site.  The google search for "BBC Horizon" takes you to the old Horizon site which is no longer updated. It the currently second rank link that you want.
 
You may also want the recepie for  Piña colada or Brandy sour